Teachers Share Opinions on Virtual Learning

Kathrynne Hester

Some students are saying that they love online learning because it gives them more freedom, others say that it just doesn’t work for them like in-person school would, and some would prefer a combination of virtual and in-person. However, what is it like to be the virtual teacher? Let’s see what some teachers have to say:

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Kinne

Mrs. Lauren Kinne, a biology teacher who also runs the Environmental Club with students, admitted that she misses “seeing students in person because the best part of my job is seeing and working with [them].” However, because some students are more comfortable, “They seem more willing to ask questions,” said Kinne.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Benzinger

Mrs. Benzinger, an English teacher,  said that “the anonymity that [virtual learning] allows is good for students who would normally not share. It has provided a space where some students feel far more comfortable.” But, she added, “I really wish when people were speaking they would turn their camera on so we could put faces to names, or, at the very least, put pictures in for the grey [human symbols].”

Photo courtesy of Ms. Schaefer

Ms. Schaefer, a studio art teacher who is new to Woodson, commented that “a lot of students are more comfortable showing and writing about their work in an online format and that was unexpected. [Virtual learning] has pushed students and teachers to be more creative by adapting with the materials you find around you.” Regardless, “[I miss] not being in person. It’s a different feeling, being in a physical space together. For some people it’s harder to work in isolation,” said Schaefer.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Schmitt

Mr. Schmitt, a math teacher, likes “that [virtual learning] gives us a good chance to try new things in a low-risk situation.” However, he dislikes that he can’t “communicate with the students on a personal and content level. I can’t help you as much as I want to,” said Schmitt.

Despite all the new technology out there, nothing can be substituted for an in-person conversation and seeing people’s faces.