Defining the Upper Class: Seniors Deserve Exclusive Privileges

Lecya Santiago, Opinion Editor

After 12 years of wobbly desks, mystery meat lunches, and standardized tests, the senior class is ready for an extended break from their younger counterparts. Senior skip days, trips, and leaving class early are senior privileges. However, do these privileges cross the line? Does the final class deserve relaxation when summer break is only months away? To some, they don’t; but seniors disagree. In their last school year, it’s essential to offer a solution to senioritis and give them their rightful privileges after years of hard work.

The parking lot dedicated to seniors only. Photo by Vy Nguyen.

In senior year, teachers tend to believe their students don’t need the relaxation and should be continuously engaged every minute of the school day; this can even lead to the idea that students are lazy if they cannot finish the year off well. This couldn’t be farther from the truth, and leaving early (or taking breaks) does much more good for mental health than forcing the same routine for years. 

Recently, schools have become stricter regarding who comes in and out of school to control safety among the student population; it’s already tricky to try to take a break. Skipping school to drink milkshakes like it’s the 50s isn’t an option, so seniors must still attend school if they want to graduate. Creating days like “senior skip day” promotes solidarity within the class year and prevents students from feeling intense burnout. Senior skip day is tradition, and it would be cruel to deny it to them or instead allow it for other grades when seniors have the most pressure due to their transition to the adult world.

Cartoon by Vy Nguyen.

While skipping days are the most notorious privileges, there are still things such as senior parking lots or specified lunch rooms where seniors deserve to have their momentary eliteness showcased. Giving a designated parking lot or lunchroom doesn’t create a divide between years, and the difference is vital if one wants people in the school to coexist in a shared space. Underclassmen are typically stereotyped as immature and annoying. Those who are 18 can vote and even drink alcohol in certain countries. That age gap is critical to distinguish the separation; forcing the two ages (and everyone between) to interact could lead to violence and resentment. 

A freshman doesn’t care about college acceptances, and seniors are way past algebra classes. Seniors understand they don’t have much time left, and it would be counterproductive to allow them to feel as if their space is being overrun after existing in it for four years. Being superior is something every student feels they will achieve one day, so distinguishing the graduating class from others will create good morale and keep everyone settled until summer or graduation. Schools should be working hard to make sure these privileges and customs are known and only for the senior class as it is their scholarly right.

Seniors deserve their privileges and alone time; it’s the least schools could do after hard work. All students will achieve these privileges someday, so being strict on who receives them when the time comes is a reasonable demand to have. Schools have nurtured and given seniors the time to dream about the experiences they have in their final year, and it’d be foolish to break a promise made so many years ago, beginning at the age of five.