Varsity Gymnastics Takes on Regionals

Reagan Dempster, Chief Editor

The varsity gymnastic team sports their new uniforms. All photos courtesy of Emily Gamber.

On Monday, February 7, the Woodson Varsity Gymnastics Team entered Fairfax High School wearing their warm-up uniforms and smiles on their faces as they made their way to the gym; prepared for possibly their last gymnastics meet of the 2021-2022 season. Stakes were high for this meet, but with the girls’ optimistic mindsets and uplifting teamwork that is a necessity to employ the challenging skills that gymnastics entails, they knew they were ready to dominate. 

Gymnastics meets consist of individual events like bars, floor, beam and vault. In gymnastics meets, athletes are both physically and mentally challenged as they compete in multiple events. The team’s performance is judged from how well the individuals do in their event. 

Senior Bella Muniz, four-year varsity member, competed floor, vault and beam events at regionals this year. “Looking around at everyone, I just felt supported,” said Muniz. “Between Lake Braddock and Woodson, everyone was cheering each other on, and it was the most support I’ve seen in this sport since I joined the team.” This was Bella’s last gymnastics meet of high school. “I feel like the team worked so hard to get to regionals, and we all did the best we could, and we were all happy with how we did.”

Emily Gamber performs her floor routine.

Three-year varsity member, junior, Emily Gamber competed in beam, vault, and floor at Regionals this year. “I was the most excited for this season,” said Gamber. “I was feeling good about it.” The team had much more team spirit this year as they have in previous years. “I’m going to miss the team spirit the most because we had so much fun together.” Last year there were no spectators at the gymnastics meets due to Covid-19. This season, spectators returned to the gymnastics meets which has contributed to the overwhelming increase in team spirit this year. 

Woodson practices at Lake Braddock Secondary School with Lake Braddock’s gymnastics team along with Annandale’s gymnastics team. Since they all practice at the same place together it feels like they are all one big team. 

The varsity gymnastics team celebrates together. 

At regionals Woodson placed fifth and Lake Braddock placed first. “Since we’re all a team it felt like we won with them,” said Gamber. “We all did really well this season.” Ending this season with an overwhelming sense of gratitude and accomplishment, the team is excited to see what it is in store for next season.