Teachers views on International Education Day

Jada Bromberg, Staff Writer

Whether standing up at the front of a classroom or diligently planning for the next day’s lesson, each teacher’s reason for their career choice is different. To celebrate the International Day of Education, which landed on January 24 this year, various staff members at Woodson shared their reasons for why they decided to teach. 

Photo courtesy of Ms. Forgione

Ms. Deirdre Forgione is a photography teacher who has been at Woodson since 2015. “I knew I wanted to work with people, and I knew I wanted to work with art; photography specifically. My high school photography teacher…I remember how she made me feel, and I knew that when I went into that space I was safe,” said Ms. Forgione. “I think because I felt that way in her room I wanted to keep feeling that way, and I knew I would keep feeling that way if I kept art in my life.”

Combining her passion with her career choice was the way Ms. Forgione could get the best of both worlds. “The way that I got here was by thinking about what would really make me happy, and what would give me the most joy out of what I was doing every day,” she said. 

The organization that proclaimed the International Day of Education, UNESCO, developed around the time of World War ll. They proclaimed this year’s theme as “Changing Course, Transforming Education.” The purpose of the day is to celebrate “the role of education for peace and development” (unesco.org). 

Mr. Daniel Mesa, Social Studies and Physical Education teacher is in his second year at Woodson. “When I got into college I started working with kids in sports and tutoring, and so it’s something I left like I really liked doing. I had no idea what I wanted to do…it’s one of those things where a hobby [turns] into a career,” said Mr. Mesa. 

Mr. Mesa noted, “No day is the same, every day is different…it’s constantly evolving, constantly changing, so I really enjoy that.”

For some, teaching may lead to working in the field of education on a wider level. Ms. Kathy Martin, Assistant Principal, taught for 18 years before becoming an administrator. 

“I started out as a biology major and was hired in the county as a chemistry teacher…I had an administrator who had suggested that I look into administration,” said Ms. Martin. Intrigued by the opportunity to affect students on a broader level, she decided she wanted to join the team.

Maintaining a variety of subjects was important to Ms. Martin. “Making sure students have an outlet…some students need a break in the day,” she said. Ms. Martin emphasized that interacting with students, specifically helping a student who is in need, is her favorite part of being an administrator. 

Ms. Laura Barry, Biology and ESOL environmental science teacher has been teaching at Woodson for four years. “I’ve always had a passion for science. In college, I studied biology and chemistry, and it took me a while to decide my major. I ultimately decided on biology because I didn’t like organic chemistry and physical chemistry,” said Ms. Barry. In addition to her love for science, Ms. Barry expressed that she knew she wanted to be a teacher since third grade. 

“The best part about teaching mostly freshmen is I get to see [them] grow up. I like to work with teenagers, and I’ll add that I really like the sports aspect of it,” said Ms. Barry. She likes attending and cheering people on at their sporting events, plays, and musicals at school. 

Photo courtesy of Jada Bromberg

Ms. Joan Brown, Broadcast Journalism and Tech Support teacher has also been teaching at Woodson for four years. “My husband went into the military, so that became a focal point in whose career was going to be the primary career. Because the military pretty much has to be the primary career, mine became the secondary career,” said Ms. Brown. 

Adapting to the circumstances, she had to find the second-best option. “As an on-air personality, you really have to stay in the same community to build a rapport with the audience. I chose to leave my career in broadcasting, and my next choice was what was going to be best for someone who moves around to military bases,” said Ms. Brown. 

Ms. Brown said, “I’m very career-oriented, and so when I see someone find something in school that’s going to lead them down a path to a career that they will love, that is so rewarding as a teacher, to me.”

Ms. Martin affirmed, “Education is a great profession. I think it gets harder each year and it’s ever-changing, but it’s definitely rewarding and I love my job.