MLK Day

Reagan Dempster , chief editor

Woodson students roll out of bed at 10 a.m. on Monday morning.  Running to check their phone, getting ready for a day full of relaxation with their friends. In elementary school students watch movies about Martin Luther King, and read books about the impact he had on the Civil Rights Movement. However, as students enter high school most teachers are caught up in their busy schedules and do not have time to have class discussions on the importance of Martin Luther King, Jr. in our country. As a result, high school students are starting to lose sight of the importance of Martin Luther King day, and see it as just another Monday off from school.

Photos via Pixabay

Martin Luther King was born on January 15, 1929 in Atlanta Georgia. He was a Baptist minister who dedicated his life to being an activist for the Civil Rights Movement. He gave inspirational speeches around America to inspire others to stand up to the injustices in America and join the Civil Rights movement. He was assassinated on April 4, 1968 in Memphis Tennessee outside a motel where he planned to give a speech. 

Martin Luther King was consistently put in danger, because of the brave acts he was doing. His family was threatened, his house was burned to the ground, but he still woke up everyday and chose to do everything he could for the Civil Rights Movement. “Many people of color looked up to him and his incredible efforts to fight for equality,” said senior Fia Nufio.

He started something much greater that is the reason that we are where we are today, and continue to fight Civil Rights Battles. “Martin Luther King was a very important inspiration to people all over the world,” said Nufio. “He showed people that a better life can be acknowledged and achieved.” 

Martin Luther King’s impact did not simply end after African Americans were granted equal rights. He is still influencing groups such as the Black Students Union at Woodson today. “He inspired Many to speak out about current violence in today’s events such as the Black Lives Matter Movement,” said junior Nuhamin Haile. “And because of his bravery we are where we are today.” 

In 1983 Congress passed a bill under Ronald Reagan’s Presidency that would name the third Monday in January a federal holiday for Martin Luther King to acknowledge the everlasting impact he has on America.