Woodson Students and Staff Share Their Opinions on the Abortion Crisis

Mackenzie Pham, Staff Writer

The Supreme Court has been has been considering for the past week a Mississippi law that bans abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy. This case challenges the Roe v. Wade (1973) establishment of abortion rights stating than a woman is able to have an abortion up until 23 weeks by law. However, the case today has raised the possibility of the Supreme Court overriding Roe vs. Wade and supporting the Mississippi law. The Supreme Court today consists of 9 justices, with 6 justices appointed by a Republican president and 3 justices appointed by a Democratic president. The case will most likely not be decided until early summer of 2022.

Here are some teacher and student opinions on this topic.

Photo courtesy of Saba Nasseri.

Saba Nasseri:

“I’ve always strongly advocated and believed in the right for a woman to choose what she wants to do with her own body,” said junior Saba Nasser. “Considering how far we’ve come in the fight for women’s rights, it would be an absolute shame for legislation such as this to pass. There is not only the issue of women having merely 15 weeks to decide upon such a life-changing choice, but also the fact that politicians have no right to judge the choices that women make, especially when considering that most of these politicians are men.”

Anonymous Student:

“To be honest, I believe that women have the choice to do what they want even though I am pro life for myself,” said an anonymous junior. “In AP Lang we are reading old writings by people like Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry Thoreau who encourage people to mind their own business which I definitely agree with. Either way I think 15 weeks (over 3 months) is a reasonable number. Abortions after the first trimester are significantly more dangerous than ones before and can cause long term damage. Although pregnancy essentially changes your body, long-term cervical damage can ruin your spine. I agree with the 15-week ban, but medical abortions where the person is in danger of dying should still be available.”

Photo courtesy of Mr. Glander.

Mr. Mike Glander:

“I am less interested in my personal political views and more interested in having views from all sides as a psychology and government teacher,” said Mr. Mike Glander. “I think both sides of the debate need to find a common ground in order to resolve this conflict. Right now, both sides are refusing to find a common ground in order to resolve this conflict… and are holding onto their beliefs without taking a radical stance. If the Roe vs Wade case is overturned, the law will be pulling back freedom and putting the power into the state. The laws decided by the national government are important because we as citizens look to these laws as a guide to follow.”