Students and Staff Share Bright Moments at Woodson

Cosette Jo, Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Ananya Sai.

One of the best parts about the Woodson community is the memories made. Whether in the classroom, during a club or at the beloved Hoco events, Cavs have been able to make and witness special moments that last through the years. Here are some of the best memories that students and staff have to share.

Senior Ananya Sai said that her favorite memory at Woodson was Senior Sunrise. “It’s a fun time where all the seniors get together and you watch the sunrise together — very cliché but also very fun,” explains Sai. “It’s a nice way to start off the school year.”

Junior Hana Kewaisy shared that her favorite memory was most likely Homecoming in her freshman year. “As a freshman, it’s really exciting to be in that environment with everyone.” She laughs as she adds, “Despite the DJ playing “Gasolina” for four hundred years and not playing music that we knew, we still pulled through and it was fun.”

Photo courtesy of Hana Kewaisy.

Choir teacher Ms. Amy Moir has been teaching at Woodson for six years. She couldn’t decide what her favorite memory at Woodson was. She named a couple, consisting of the last bows and curtain calls of the choir’s Dessert on Broadway and the end-of-year picnic that took place during the covid year (20-21). She also loves singing the national anthem at football games. “We have a bunch of middle schoolers there. One year we had a ton of elementary school kids, too, and just to see that sense of community, that’s always a great, great memory.”

Similarly, science teacher Mr. Matthew Ringier said that the best part of teaching at Woodson is getting to know the students. “Being able to see the students grow…seeing that transition and seeing them become the people that they’re going to be is really exciting.”

The day of Ringier’s favorite memory also came as a surprise. “I was supposed to take over for a teacher who was going out on maternity leave. She went into labor the day I was supposed to meet with her and I just took the class and started teaching. So it was exciting — a real fun way to get to know the students, and I jumped right in with both feet and started teaching.” Ringier currently teaches human anatomy and physiology, but he has also taught biology, chemistry and environmental science.

Photo courtesy of Matthew Ringier.

Kewaisy and Sai are both officers at Model United Nations. Some of their silliest memories are from experiences in the club. Sai has a particularly crazy recollection from her sophomore year during one of the MUN conferences.  

Photo courtesy of Amy Moir.

“[It was] nearing the end of the second day, people started getting really tired and…really delirious because we’d all been up really late working on working papers,” recounts Kewaisy. “People just started randomly throwing cash in the air whenever they’d end speaking and at one point the chairs got so fed up and they started emptying their wallets, too. And we were all able to take the cash home as well so it was kind of like a win-win situation.”

Choir has some funny incidents too, particularly over words. “We sing in a lot of foreign languages,” explains Moir. “I remember one year…we were singing in Swahili and then we went to the song that was in English. This student very seriously raised his hand — the word was “awake” — and was like what does awaké mean?” Laughing, she says in defense, “But we’d just been singing in another language and I’ve done the same thing before, even as a professional.” Moir also said that students would pull pranks during performances. “They’re funny and they’re always good moments.”