Should Internet Boxers be taken Seriously?

Adia Elcock, Staff Writer

It’s a Sunday night at a sold-out Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. Celebrities have flooded the venue awaiting a highly-anticipated Floyd Mayweather fight. Mayweather’s opponent, Youtuber Logan Paul.

Logan Paul, photo by of Jordan Strauss/AP

In 2017, no one would have predicted that the guys who released It’s Everyday Bro and The Fall of Jake Paul would become boxers virtually overnight. Flashforward to 2021, and boxing matches with internet celebrities have become primetime events. Fights have included not only Youtubers, but Tiktokers, former professional athletes, and professional fighters like Floyd Mayweather. 

Before the fights, there is often a long build-up including trash talking, mind-games, and social media posts, helping to promote the fights and garner public interest. The internet boxing industry has become big money for Youtube, Showtime, and other streaming platforms, who charge up to $70 to watch these fights. 

Internet boxing started as fights between Youtubers. The first fight took place on February 3, 2018 between Youtubers KSI and Joe Wellers, amassing over 20 million views in one day. KSI later fought Logan Paul on two separate occasions before retiring from boxing, while Paul and his brother Jake chose to continue fighting

KSI and Logan Paul face off, photo by Tom Jacobs/Reuters

professionally. While the Paul brothers have been the major players in internet boxing, having fought Nate Robinson, Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley, and Floyd Mayweather respectively, Youtuber Austin McBroom and Tiktoker Bryce Hall took their feud to the ring, headlining the YouTubers vs TikTokers Fight.  Other notable figures at the YouTubers vs TikTokers Fight include Vinnie Hacker, Deji, AnEsonGib and Taylor Holder.

Woodson students seem to agree that while internet boxing can be fun to watch, it is not worth paying for. Junior Emma Falardeau claims internet boxing is “fake but entertaining,” while another junior, Trevor Gay, thinks internet boxing is “really funny,” but “would never pay $100 to see the fights.” Overall, Woodson students agree that internet boxing matches are staged and not worth the millions of dollars they earn.