Varsity Volleyball Begins Season Strong

Nico Marvin, Sports editor

The bright lights shine on the wooden court in the Red Jenkins Gym as the Woodson varsity girls start their warm up at an afternoon practice.  This season, like the last, has been riddled with question marks and challenges, including an email at 8:30 p.m. the day before school stating they were quarantined and barred from school for the first two days in August. 

Woodson vs South Lakes, photos by the Woodson Volleyball team

“It was frustrating for all of us,” said sophomore Nora Gilmore, “especially the seniors, because it would be their last first day of school.”  To drive the point home, she stated that “it really felt like a punch in the gut.” This did not affect the team, however.

“It did not shake us up.  In fact it made us closer together as we kept on communicating online,” said returning junior, Aubree Reasor.

It certainly did not impact the team negatively as they went on not only to win, but make a clean sweep of their first two games against South Lakes and Yorktown.

“This will carry a lot of momentum into the season as we have so much energy from our games, and we know how well we can play,” said junior Asaysha Van, like first impressions, setting the season off with two wins “really sets a tone for the season,” she added.

The team has a mix of sophomores, juniors, and seniors coming back to varsity, and freshmen and others playing their first year of high school volleyball. 

Woodson at South County,
Woodson at South County. 

“The seniors have been huge role models for me, especially because volleyball is somewhat new to me,” says Gilmore, with seniors showing the ropes of not only volleyball but also how to navigate a new school setting for freshmen and sophomores. “Having them guide me through the steps and everything has really helped me out,” she said.

Which game to mark on your calendar?  “Robinson,” says returning sophomore Muara Fay, “we always go back and forth and it is one of our exciting games to watch, as the teams are very closely matched.” As of this writing, Robinson beat the Cavs after a tough battle, only by 1 set (3-2).  

Woodson will keep on working hard into the rest of the season looking to follow that of the 2019 season, where they were runners-up in the state. The team plays every week and a complete schedule can be found at wtwoodsonsports.com under the volleyball tab.

As of October 29th Woodson Volleyball is 6-3.