Woodson’s 2021 Book Recommendations

Mackenzie Pham, Staff Writer

With Woodson students returning fully to school after a year and a half, many have explored reading in their free time. Ranging from adventure to mystery to romance, Woodson students have a variety of tastes in books. Many teens resort to reading during times of stress to find a source of comfort, especially during the pandemic. 

Books are easily accessible in the local or school library, allowing students to browse a large selection. However, some enthusiasts do not know where to start, so we offer these recommendations as a guide. Even if reading sounds like a burden, these fantastic books have left students hooked until the end. Here are Woodson’s recommended books for 2021. 

Malibu Rising

Photo courtesy of goodreads.com

Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid

Release Date: May 27, 2021

This book chronicles the challenges four siblings face while simultaneously telling the life

of their mother as she struggled in her life as a single parent. As the book nears the dramatic climax, it also includes the points of view of the attendants who are at the party, offering a comedic element but emotional book. Malibu Rising “gives you a perspective of someone who may not be the same as you,” said sophomore Katelyn Tran. “If you’re someone who likes a book that isn’t too long, this would be the perfect length and pace, while still having a good plotline.”

Reminders of Him

Author: Colleen Hoover

Release Date: January 18, 2022

This Colleen Hoover book is one of the most anticipated books of 2022, with the author’s rising popularity this year through social media influences. Past hits of Hoover include It Ends With Us, Ugly Love, and All Your Perfects led readers through an emotional rollercoaster, leaving them clinging until the end of the story. Beginning with a young mother coming out of jail after five years, Kenna Rowan tries her best to reunite with her daughter and rebuild the relationship that was destroyed. However, the people in her daughter’s life are not supportive of the relationship between Kenna and her daughter, until she meets a bar owner named Ledger Ward. As Kenna and Ledger’s relationship grows, Hoover takes the reader on a heartbreaking journey in hopes of Kenna resolving her mistakes and building a better future. “I’m really excited to read this emotional redemption story,” said Junior Tramina Phan. “I’ve heard so many good things about Colleen Hoover’s books, so I’m sure that this story will be amazing.”

The Four Winds 

Author: Kristin Hannah

Release Date: February 2, 2021

Did you expect this to not be on the list? As one of the best-rated books in 2021, receiving over 4 stars with thousands of ratings, The Four Winds sets the stage during the Great Depression. Specifically, the Dust Bowl era, when crops were dying, water was scarce, and smothering dust was on the brink of burying all inhabitants. New York Times Bestselling Author Kristin Hannah takes the reader alongside main character Elsa Martinelli, as she struggles to make a decision to move west to escape the disaster, or to fight for her homeland. Her perseverance during one of the darkest times will influence many generations in this epic novel.

Somebody’s Daughter 

Author: Ashley C. Ford

Release Date: June 1, 2021

A memoir about the main character, Ford, who had an abusive past with her mother, takes the reader on a journey like no other. Ford also has a father, in prison, so she lacks parental figures in her life. However, after 30 years, Ford learns of her father’s release, and the journey begins her immense growth from a young, vulnerable girl to a courageous woman. Favorable reviews on this book discussed and shed light on a topic that should be given greater representation in society. 

Raft of Stars

Author: Andrew J. Graff

Release Date: March 23, 2021

If you are interested in adventure, mystery, and humor, you will love Raft of Stars because it tells a fascinating story of two young boys, Fischer and Dale, fleeing a dangerous scene before being framed as murderers. The story’s four adults, including Fischer’s mother Miranda, his grandad, Teddy, a poet named Tiffany, and Sheriff Cal, follow the two boys into the forest, frantically searching for the children. Each of the adults has a unique story to tell through different lenses and viewpoints. Follow the characters as they navigate through this thrilling but mysterious adventure.