Woodson’s newest Head Coaches

Zoe Fenner, Staff Writer

Coach Michael Schneider, photos by of Zoe Fenner

Fall sports at Woodson High School have begun, with new head coaches for Football in the fall and Girls Lacrosse in the spring. Maxwell Crush was an assistant coach for last year’s season and is the head coach for the 2021-2022 season. Michael Schneider coached on the assistant level of Woodson Girls Lacrosse for six years, and will now be the head coach for the 2021-2022 spring season. 

Coach Schneider grew up in Syracuse, New York. He played lacrosse in high school and went on to play club lacrosse at the University of South Florida, where he graduated in 2005. Schneider decided to coach high schoolers because “I enjoy working with the student-athletes to become better people on and off the field.” Last season, Woodson Girls Varsity Lacrosse won the Occoquan regional championship and made it to the state semifinals. 

Schneider has also been the head coach for coed golf at Woodson for the past two years. He said that his experiences as a head coach on the co-ed golf team have prepared him for communicating with athletes and for the responsibilities that come with being a head coach. Schneider said that he wishes for his athletes in the upcoming season to “continue the love of the sport and have some fun.”

Coach Crush grew up in Roanoke, Virginia, and said that “down there, football was big… something we grew up doing.” Crush played lineman for his high school football team and went on to play football at Christopher Newport University. After he graduated with a degree in communications, Crush stayed in Newport News, Virginia, as a football coach at his alma mater. Crush went on to coach football at Glenvar High School, in Roanoke, Virginia, where he realized he wanted to “push kids to be better leaders.”

Crush moved to Fairfax in 2019 and served as an assistant coach for the Woodson football team for a year.

Coach Maxwell Crush

As the new head coach, Crush said he wants to inspire “mental toughness” in his athletes. He added that “football is not just a hobby, but something you really need to dedicate time to.” 

As of this writing, the Woodson Varsity Football team has lost two games and won one game against Falls Church 22-0. There are ten more games scheduled for the 2021-2022 season, and Crush expects his athletes to continue battling. He aims to instill a sense of community within the football team, saying “we’re doing our best to balance building the mindset that we want for the future, while trying to be successful now.”

As of October 29th Woodson Football is 2-2.