Predictions for a post-COVID future

Husnain Choudhry, Tech Columnist

As for my final piece in the Cavalcade, I thought it would be fitting to end with predictions for a post-COVID world that is rapidly approaching. These trends in technology are important for students to watch, as it can define how we live, play, and work in the near future. Here are some of the most popular predictions so far:

Short-term boost in the entertainment industry

The Disney cruise ship, Dream. Photo by Tamara Nguyen.

With the stay-at home orders, closing of businesses, and flight cancellations, most people have collectively endured staying at home for over a year. Thus, a fatigued population is more likely to flood restaurants, parks, tourist attractions, and other entertainment venues. 

Collaboration tools

Photo by Tamara Nguyen.

According to FCPS, 17 schools will participate in a pilot program next year for Schoology, a learning management system (LMS), where students will submit assignments, complete tasks, and collaborate together. During the program, schools will be “asked to use Schoology instead of Blackboard and Google Classroom” for as many assignments as possible. Although Woodson is not part of the pilot program, we can definitely expect to see more developments on that end. This is an example of a greater trend in people redefining what virtual collaboration means, especially in order to avoid pitfalls like “Zoom fatigue”.

Contact tracing and privacy

Many countries used surveillance tools to monitor different populations in order to slow the outbreak of COVID, from temperature monitoring to GPS. The use of these tools has concerned privacy advocates, as they can be used to track individuals for invasive or nefarious purposes. For example, oppressive governments could constantly monitor the movement of their citizens, and thus determine the best way to rule over the population. In addition, the concept of a “vaccine passport” may require confidential information, opening another possibility of privacy invasion. Thus, we can expect in the future a nationwide discussion on how citizen’s privacy can be protected while still stopping the spread of a virus.