The Best K-Dramas to Watch on Netflix

Lecya Santiago, Staff Writer

Cinderella and the Four Knights:

Photo courtesy of IMDb.com.

Described as “cute in a corny way,” by junior Katherine Guerrera, Cinderella and the Four Knights takes cliches and makes them its own with cute lines and heartwarming romantic scenes. Putting a spin on the original Cinderella story, Park So-Dam becomes a maid for three cousins after her mother’s death. The four actors have obvious chemistry with each-other, and it is an excellent rom-com drama for those who have never watched k-dramas.

It’s Okay not To Be Okay:

Photo courtesy of IMDb.com.

This profoundly moving melodrama will leave you in tears, a story dealing with trauma and mental illness being TOP TEN on Netflix. It’s Okay Not To Be Okay centers around two characters’ budding love story while also dealing with their own personal journey for better health. Woodson graduate Andrew Lee, a fan of the show, recommends it for its “attractive actors and a detailed story,” as the show’s shining point is the whimsical way it shows heartbreak.

Boys Over Flowers:

Photo courtesy of MyDramaList.com.

Considered a classic amongst k-dramas, Boys Over Flowers is a must-watch for beginners who are new to the Korean scene. A working-class girl is placed with four rich boys, a typical high school story that is relatable and shows a glamorized high school life for daydreamers. At a decent length, it’s beloved for its cute moments and classic cliche of enemies to lovers. Though it may seem outdated, the motifs of friendship and balancing love with regular life will surpass expectations, wanting more once it ends.

Itaewon Class:

Photo courtesy of IMDb.com.

Itaewon Class, a k-drama centering around an ex-con trying to create a street bar with his friends, is surprisingly heartwarming with a story of found family and rising above expectations. With five main characters, each person has their own unique personality and backstory, making them feel real and letting you sympathize with them. This drama in particular attempts to diversify its cast. This is something most shows struggle with, which makes it stand out to a broader audience. Itaewon Class embraces life’s struggles from a different perspective, clearly deserving of its high ratings and popularity.

Vincenzo:

Photo courtesy of IMDb.com.

Starting with a Korean child adopted into the Mafia who returns to Korea to seek revenge for his mom, it shows its uniqueness through synopsis alone. This k-drama is praised for being “unique and unlike other [k-dramas],” from Andrew Lee, and it’s set apart because of its darker plot line. Listed as a dark comedy, the drama is straightforward with no loose ends and easy to invest in due to the acting and urge to answer questions created in each episode. Combining humor, vengeance and mystery, this drama has everything needed to binge on the weekend.