2021 Rise in Asian Hate Crimes

Austin James Wang, Staff Writer

Marking over a year of living in under Covid-19 pandemic conditions, violent acts of racism have been filed all over the U.S., igniting a powerful surge of activism involving social justice groups such as Black Lives Matter (BLM).

2,800 reports of hate incidents directed at Asian Americans were received as of the start of the pandemic”

More recently, a sickening trend in hate crimes against Asian-American seems to have taken a rapid spike, as the media has portrayed it. News will cover that these are all due to the “malicious” slurs tied to Covid, spoken by former president Donald Trump (i.e., “China Virus”, “Kung Flu”).

“Covid is definitely fueling the attacks,” said junior Hannah Fidler. “People are just looking for someone to blame, making it easier to launch hate attacks due to Covid Justification.”

According to the advocacy group Stop AAPI Hate, 2,800 reports of hate incidents directed at Asian Americans were received as of the start of the pandemic.

“As an Asian American, I have personally become very scared to expose myself to the public at risk of a hate crime,” said freshman Shylah Carriker.

The Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus was joined by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who denounced and explained that the attacks were fueled through “white supremacy…the biggest bucket of concern for domestic terrorism.”

In contrast to Pelosi’s claim, shown in the graphic footage at the scene of the attacks, we are able to observe that the attacker in these crimes isn’t always the “white supremacist” that officials describe. In fact, FBI hate crime statistics for the last five years show, on average, that in 16 percent of hate crimes, the race of the attacker is unknown.