Students Return to Woodson for In-Person Learning

Ariana Tackett, News Editor

With the majority of the year having been completely virtual, some sense of normalcy has been reclaimed with students’ physical return to school. This shift to the concurrent learning model has proven challenging at times, but students are already reaping the benefits of attending school inside a real classroom and not their bedroom.

To many students who chose to go back, a physical return to school allows for increased interaction and focus, hopefully improving academic performance as well as relationships with peers and teachers.

Senior Theo Thompson-Guldseth explains one of his motivations for choosing in-person learning was his participation in band, since “assignments aren’t as interactive online as in person.” Being at school also allows him improved focus, since he “can’t get distracted easily inside a classroom.” The social aspect of school has been heavily watered down, as to be expected with the low number of students returning, but, regardless, Theo explains that this is “much more social interaction than at home.”

Photo by Leila Ali.

In-person learning and a decreased student body have allowed for more one-on-one time between students and teachers, an advantage described by sophomore Emma Falardeau. She says she “is learning better in person” because of this. Freshman Jackalyn Peña also shares this sentiment, saying she “understands the material more” in the physical classroom and is able to ask questions more easily than in the virtual environment.

Another freshman, Maura Fay, describes how the difficulty to interact with classmates in a virtual environment motivated her to choose the concurrent learning model. At home, she says, it is much easier to get distracted, but returning to school, even for two days, has helped her “focus more on what [she’s] learning.”

A challenge for freshmen this year is the navigation of the building itself, and Maura describes her frustration at sometimes not being able to find where she needs to be, since there was never much of an opportunity to tour the school before returning. Jackalyn Peña also describes how it is sometimes hard to locate her classes “without being there for five days,” since classes are only held two days per week, and shares her disappointment at not being able to meet friends and teachers who have remained virtual.