The Importance of Choosing College

Kara Lynch, Staff Writer

Choosing if you want to go to college can be daunting. A college education is viewed differently by different authorities. Parents and school counselors who want the best for their children encourage younger generations to attend the four year experience. Mentors or older friends might imply that you don’t need a college degree to have a rewarding and healthy life. According to The Atlantic only 0.000086% of the population is famous so your chances of being prominent are slim (but not impossible!). 

College education is fundamental, but not obligatory. A college education is not just a lavish degree on paper. It’s an experience. In college you have four years to discover yourself, your passions and your values. College allows students to take numerous classes that interest them like philosophy or media management, rather than eight standard high school courses. As students branch out academically, they create connections with other peers. The friendships created at college with students and professors will last a lifetime. 

Blocks that student organizations paint on the George Mason University campus. Photo Courtesy of nytimes.com.

A college degree opens doors to numerous other opportunities. Citizens with a bachelor’s degree are 9.4 times more likely to have a bank account than citizens with a high school diploma, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Zillow, an online real estate marketplace, also reported that 89 percent of their home buyers had college educations.  A college education sets individuals up for a stable financial life.

Students might argue that college isn’t for everyone, but with roughly 5,300 different universities in the U.S., according to Education Unlimited, there are many options to find the right fit. There is also the issue of tuition and the idea that you can only get financial aid if you’re A) very smart or B) very athletic. That concept is false. The National Center for Education Statistics concluded that qualified students have access to 750,000 financial aid opportunities. George Mason University for example offers grants, loans, work study employment, and many other aids.  

As Benjamin Franklin once said, “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” College education prepares you for the work force and life as an adult.