International Night Goes Virtual

Nyela Walker, Op-Ed Editor

Cheering a cultural dance and snapping at the end of a poem are a couple of the many wonders about International Night (inite). Sitting in Woodson’s auditorium, amazed on a February night, is one of the best experiences a Cav can have. This year, Cavs will have to stay home for Woodson’s Fourth Annual International Night. Organized by the For the Culture Club, the event is scheduled to be virtual in April. 

Photo courtesy of Iraán Hemphill.

Different from past International Nights, performers are meant to come in at scheduled times to record their performances, which are normally students reciting a poem, modeling clothes, dancing or other ways of celebrating their culture. The trivia questions in between performances will continue as the event will be premiered on Woodson’s YouTube channel. 

Photo courtesy of Iraán Hemphill.

Instead of the potluck before the show, Iraán Hemphill, president of the For the Culture Club, and organizers plan to have a “food segment time-lapse of different cultural foods that people have made.” 

Inspired by last year’s inite, a first-time performer, junior John Policarpio, will be singing a traditional song representing the Philippines. With the virtual environment, Policarpio is able to record either the piano or guitar over his actual performance where he will sing with the other instrument.

International Night is a “celebration of both differences and similarities that make it so unique,” as Policarpio concludes that this inite will be, nonetheless, “special.”

Photo courtesy of Jada Bromberg.

Expect to see second-time performers in the 2021 International Night. Junior Jada Bromberg will be “showcasing [her] qipao in the fashion show, which is a traditional dress, to represent China.” Bromberg looks forward to seeing people “perform from different areas. It may give viewers at home more of a feel for their overall culture and background.”

A popular performance among Woodson Cavs is the fan dance performed again this year by the Vietnamese Student Association (VSA). The association plans to learn the dance and put the “performance together virtually,” says senior Diane Vu, who co-founded VSA last year with senior Chris Lam. 

The For the Culture Club plans to have interviews of the performers, such as on the Voice and X-Factor, where performers will be “in a room with a background [of] different [items] that represent them [while] answering questions,” says Hemphill.

With plans to bring in “special guests to interview [for] people to get inspired,” Hemphill thinks that inite is a “great night to reflect on the progress society has made.”