What Biden Has Done in His First Month in Office

Photo courtesy of NBC News.

Annabella Agosto, Staff Writer

President Joe Biden has not wasted any time since he was elected, as he already signed a record-breaking number of executive orders during his first month. With the executive orders, plus new cabinet appointments and repeals from the previous administration, Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris are already laying the foundation for major changes throughout many areas of American life. This list contains 22 of the most notable policies enacted in the first month of Biden’s term.

Healthcare:

• [1] Enrollment on HealthCare.gov will reopen February 15 through May 15.
  • [2] Revoked the “Mexico City Policy,” a ban on U.S. government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions.

Civil Rights:

• [3] Reversed an order that restricted diversity and inclusion training in federal agencies.
  • [4] Reversed an order that banned transgender people from the military.

Environment:

• [5] Rejoined Paris Climate Agreement.
  • [6] Canceled the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.
  • [7] Reestablished the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.

Covid-19:

• [8] Signed a mandate requiring anyone visiting a federal building or land or traveling on a plane, train, ship or intercity bus to wear a mask.
  • [9] Established a task force to specifically analyze the impact of Covid-19 on communities of color.
  • [10] Signed an executive order directing the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to expand reimbursement across states in order to fund national guard personnel and emergency supplies.
  • [11] Signed an executive order that establishes the Pandemic Testing Board to expand U.S. coronavirus testing capacity.
  • [12] Signed an executive order that directs the Department of Education and Health and Human Services (HHS) to provide guidance for safely reopening and operating schools, childcare providers and institutions of higher education.
Timeline by Annabella Agosto.

Immigration:

• [13] Halted funding and construction of Trump’s wall at the U.S.-Mexico border and cancelled the “national emergency use” declaration that was diverting billions of dollars to the wall.
  • [14] Reversed an order that previously excluded undocumented people from the census.
  • [15] Ended immigration ban on seven Muslim-majority countries.
  • [16] Signed an executive order that ensures LGBTQI+ refugees and asylum seekers have equal access to protections.
  • [17] Revoked previous order that justified separating families at the border.
  • [18] Established a task force with the intentions of reuniting separated families.
  • [19] Proposed a bill to Congress that could offer an eight-year path to citizenship for almost 11 million people without legal status.

Economy:

• [20] Announced plans for a $1.9 trillion stimulus package.
  • [21] Signed an executive order that extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least September 30.
  • [22] Signed an executive order that extends the existing nationwide suspension on evictions and foreclosures until at least March 31.