Bad Habits Picked Up During Online School: Rewards and Their Pitfalls

Cavan Griffin and Jack Rose

Ever since the beginning of the Covid-19 lockdown, students have been given a little extra freedom. Teachers do not force students to have their mics on, let alone their cameras, which also gives students the ability to do their work whenever they want to. Students tend to get caught up in this freedom and tend to develop some bad habits, and most of the habits students develop are usually quite harmful to their school life. Some students just do not even go to their classes, or worse yet, completely sleep through them.

Photo courtesy of Discord.com.

People think sleeping through their class is the optimum way to spend boring classes, though some tend to find a bit more of a social approach when it comes to not paying attention. With physical school, students were limited in who they could talk to, but now, with online applications like Discord, students can chat with their friends whenever they want to. Just mute the class and you’re ready to talk your day away, which is the habit that students picked up over the past few months. Students who are friends are often in different classes most of the time, so being able to talk to all of them is something that people simply cannot pass up.

When people think of bad habits, they think of two hours of Netflix after they write a sentence of their essay that is due next class. Others develop more of the standard idea for a bad habit. Junior Lily Jo says that “slouching” is a recent habit that she has picked up. Online classes are definitely starting to take a toll on students, whether it be from stress or, now, bad posture. Some students don’t have much of a choice when it comes to this lifestyle though, as even days are chock full of classes with only a 45-minute break between the entire day. Sometimes it is just easier to not get up and simply sit at your desk waiting for school to end. So, sitting in a position that is easiest for them to maintain is what most students are going with.

Quarantine has also made people shake up their routines quite a bit. With a lot more time, students and adults have been making and eating their own food quite a lot. Junior Abby Cook reveals, “I’ve started baking a bunch and eating what I make.” People have begun various hobbies, but others find other ways to use their time. Getting better at cooking is one thing that people can always benefit from. With so much time given between class, and with much less homework than in the past, spending it improving upon your culinary skills is something people should not pass up. Baking is something that takes a lot of patience and skill, so improving it during their off hours is something that is beneficial.     

Photo courtesy of medicalnewstoday.com.

Ignoring Class

Multiple interviewed students said they find “better things to do” than math class. Students might find themselves playing games, surfing the web, or hopefully not reading instead of paying attention. One student found himself watching the entire Simpsons TV series. He stayed awake for well over a day watching the show and then slept through a math test the next day. When asked about it he said, “I get to retake it, but my parents kicked me off the Disney+ account.” Another student spent an entire English class drawing, and now has no idea what they’re learning about. “I have no idea what this book is about,” said the student referring to The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.

Sleeping In

Some students think teachers are assigning too much work, and that it is ruining sleep schedules. Some students are missing class because they are sleeping in. Multiple students that were interviewed have stayed up well past midnight doing homework, however, others have a drastically different reason. “I finished everything, and then I hop on Insta. The next time I look up it’s 2 am,” said a student who was interviewed at 11 at night. 

Distancing from Friends

Quarantine has been rough on all of us. Though some can easily communicate by texting or using communication apps like Discord, others might feel like they’re all alone. These are difficult times, and despite our physical separation, none of us are alone. Even if some of us are talking to our friends daily, others you may know could be wondering if no one cares. Take a minute every day. Reach out to someone you haven’t talked to in a long time. Tell them that they matter. Everyone matters and everyone needs to know that.