Looking Behind The Scenes of The WTW News Show

Leila Ali

Broadcasters Phuong Bui and Iraan Hemphill on set. Photo courtesy of Leila Ali.

Like clockwork, the Woodson Broadcasting team synchronizes their every move to be on top of current events in Woodson and the world. Mrs. Joan Brown advises the group. And three students run it: Erin Lee, Aveek Sur and Isseye Carriker.

Mr. Dan Schaefer, the liaison between Leadership and the broadcasting team, said, “The goal of Broadcasting is to keep students up-to-date on school events and to keep students better connected to other students, the building and the Woodson community.” 

To effectively keep students connected and informed, preparation is paramount for the broadcasting team. In Mrs. Brown’s words, “Planning is 90 percent of what we do.” The club maintains a futures file up to two months in advance to plan each airing’s shell. 

Even though they plan far into the future, “the Broadcasting Studio crew works very hard and many long hours,” said Mrs. Brown. For the unit to work, it takes a tremendous amount of teamwork and communication skills. To get the broadcast out, “everyone has to manage their time wisely, and they have to be able to handle the stress,” according to Sur.

Sur said to inform students, not only do they need to look at worldwide news, but they also need to notify people of events happening at Woodson. The team tries to “look at things that are happening in the news and try to make some sort of connection [to Woodson],”said Sur. One way they try to keep it connected to Woodson is to keep close contact with school leadership. 

Several steps are needed to get the show to the public by the Thursday release date. The producer researches topics for that week and creates the script while working with the reporter. The producer also works in tandem with leadership to include announcements that they want to make. Once the producer finalizes the script, they send it to the reporter and anchors from leadership. Both film their videos and send them to the editor by 4 p.m., who edits the video. Once the editor finalizes the video, it is ready to be viewed by the public. Every week the three students on the broadcasting team rotate positions. 

When it comes to being in front of the camera, Sur says, “You have to be well on camera, [and] can’t be afraid of the audience.” Noah Tajudeen, a sophomore leadership member, shared that he had his brother “hold up the script behind the phone for me and I set the phone on my tripod and filmed it.”

In contrast, when it comes to off-camera duties, Sur said that “if you were going to, off-camera, say, make a script, you’ve got to be very detailed.” 

And, clearly, the Broadcasting Studio is not afraid of change, for even in the face of COVID-19, the club has prevailed. The club has gone virtual and has begun to utilize WeVideo, allowing it to be virtually unstoppable in informing the Cavalier community. It may be true that change is inevitable, but the continuation of our beloved Morning Show may be as well.