Woodson School of Witchcraft and Wizardry: Which house do you belong to?

Have you ever wondered what Woodson would be like if it were a school of magic, like Hogwarts? What if a sink at the back of the school led to a secret chamber, or if a three-headed dog lived in a storage closet in G Hall? An intriguing speculation is how students and teachers would be divided into the four houses of Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

DISCLAIMER: For all the witches and wizards out there, I am obviously not a Sorting Hat. I have simplified the distinctions between each house to make this a fun read. There is so much more to your house than one personality trait or favorite subject. That being said, let the sorting begin!

Gryffindor

Gryffindors are brave and courageous. Many English teachers fall into this category because they teach books that show a conflict of good and evil. In a way, social studies teachers deal with the theme of good and evil as well, though it is much more complicated than in English.

Mr. Warren is a Gryffindor, due to his firm beliefs and determination. He uses this determination to motivate students to succeed in his world civilizations class. 

Photo of Kiera O’Connor. Courtesy of Kiera O’Connor.

Senior Kiera O’Connor is a Gryffindor because she is passionate and bold. Her favorite subjects are English and film, and she feels these traits are necessary for writing and understanding literature.

Photo of Lucien McKernan. Courtesy of Lucien McKernan.

Junior Lucien McKernan is a Gryffindor as well because of his strong-willed nature. He enjoys social studies classes because he likes to learn from the outcomes of past decisions, and history presents these results in a less biased way than in real life.

Hufflepuff

Hufflepuffs are passionate and patient. Many electives teachers are Hufflepuffs because elective classes require an inclusive, hands-on approach to teaching a niche subject. However, Hufflepuffs can teach any subject because in general, teaching requires patience and trust in students to succeed.

Photo of Ms. Hobson. Courtesy of Ms. Hobson.

Ms. Hobson describes herself as “totally Hufflepuff”. As the school’s drama teacher and director, her job requires patience, a Hufflepuff trait. Ms. Hobson also has loyalty to Woodson, as she was part of the drama department as a Woodson student and returned to her high school to teach for 22 years. Ms. Hobson also values hard work, another Hufflepuff attribute, which is necessary in putting together a show.

Photo of Sarah Hasson. Courtesy of Sarah Hasson.

Senior Sarah Hasson considers herself a Hufflepuff because of her loyalty and optimism. Sarah plans to study tech theater in college, a field that requires Hufflepuff traits like loyalty to the craft and to the theater community. Performing arts fields like tech theater require long-term preparation, optimism and trustworthiness to succeed, all three of which are associated with Hufflepuffs.

Photo of .Divya Sundaram. Courtesy of .Divya Sundaram.

Senior Divya Sundaram is a Hufflepuff whose favorite subjects are orchestra and chemistry. Patience, an important Hufflepuff virtue, is required for both of these subjects. In orchestra and chemistry, mastery never comes on the first try, only with practice and patience. Orchestra also requires loyalty and trust in your section.

Ravenclaw

Ravenclaws value wisdom and knowledge. Many teachers at Woodson are Ravenclaws because teachers of all subjects value learning. However, the most fitting subjects for Ravenclaws are history, foreign language, and science because of the importance of memorizing content knowledge in these subjects.

Ms. Baram, who teaches computer science (CS), considers herself to be a Ravenclaw. CS teachers like her need to stay on top of learning about new technology and how to use it efficiently. This skill requires wit and quick learning, two major Ravenclaw traits.

Senior Ashley Zhang is a Ravenclaw because she values intelligence, especially in her two favorite subjects, science and computer science. She loves learning about science through competing in Science Olympiad and taking almost every AP science class at Woodson. She believes that an appreciation for learning is an essential quality for Ravenclaws.

Photo of Farooq Khan. Courtesy of Farooq Khan.

Sophomore Farooq Khan loves to learn, so he is a Ravenclaw. His favorite subject is history because he loves to connect the dots between different time periods and events, which exemplifies the Ravenclaw-esque love for learning.

Slytherin

Slytherin may be viewed as the “bad” house, but that’s not necessarily true. Slytherins value leadership, competition, and ambition. Everyone needs at least a pinch of Slytherin traits to succeed in high school (I say this as a 10% Slytherin myself). Many specific subjects require some Slytherin-ness as well, such as law and math.

Photo of Andrew Chagnon. Courtesy of Andrew Chagnon.

Andrew Chagnon is a senior Slytherin whose favorite classes are US history and government. Andrew considers himself ambitious, a key Slytherin trait. He hopes to use his ambition and interest in social studies to become a Congressman and reform the legal system.

Photo of Vivi Schmidt. Courtesy of Vivi Schmidt.

Junior Vivi Schmidt considers herself a Slytherin. Despite being initially surprised at her Pottermore test (an online Sorting Hat for Muggles) result, she realized that her straightforward and logical nature tilted her towards Slytherin. These qualities help Vivi in her Leadership class, especially during event planning.

Cavalcade • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in