Students Share Opinions on Amy Coney Barret

Vivian Jung, Staff Writer

Facing welcoming support as well as severe backlash from opposing sides, Judge Amy Coney Barrett was sworn in as a Supreme Court justice on October 27. Just about a week before the 2020 Election Day and 30 days after being nominated by President Trump, Barrett was confirmed by the Senate to the Supreme Court, filling the seat of late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Capping an unusually fast Senate approval, Barrett was sworn in as a new justice, while there were those who claimed the process was corrupted and were dissatisfied with the overall decision. 

Photo courtesy of Politico.com.

The transition from one justice to another has sparked various thoughts and views from many young people, including students at Woodson. 

Members of the WTW Young Democrats have expressed their overall feelings about the appointment of Barrett. Senior Sam Gasteiger, feels uneasy given Barrett’s past conservative and traditional track record. 

“Current protections on reproductive rights and marriage equality are up in the air,” Gasteiger said. “Her addition means the Court is stacked with conservative-leaning justices, meaning we may enter a period of conservative court decisions.”

Junior Ella Stamerra believes the confirmation of the new justice is a direct threat to everyone except straight white males. A court case was brought to the SCOTUS in 2012 about the Affordable Care Act, and they upheld the individual mandate law that every person is required to have healthcare or get fined. However, Barrett thought the act should have been abolished entirely.

“The Affordable Care Act is in jeopardy as people who cannot afford healthcare and have preexisting conditions are at major risk,” Stamerra said. “Barrett publicly criticized the SCOTUS decision in 2012 that upheld the ACA.” 

Stamerra also believes that LGBTQ+ rights are at stake as Barrett’s past experiences show she does not support the community. She feels Barrett was extremely vague in talking about the issue when questions were asked. 

“During her hearing, she completely avoided giving answers about the rights of the LGBTQ+ community,” Stamerra said. 

As the new Supreme Court justice, Barrett has not shown her worth through the eyes of both Gasteiger and Stamerra, who believe the new addition will do more harm than good.