Allow a mental health day

Mera Seifu, Staff Writer

When I was in kindergarten, like many of the 5-year-olds at the time, my worries consisted of going to bed before 8 p.m., learning to properly tie my shoes and not missing my favorite TV show, Martha Speaks. Whenever I had a problem, I would go to my teachers, and they would help me through it. If I broke or lost something, my parents would help me take care of it. 

Looking back now, I laugh at some of the stuff I used to complain about. It’s funny how we go from worrying about not missing our favorite cartoons to stressing over Google Classroom deadlines. As we get older, we gain more responsibilities, which comes with stress that we have to learn to manage. Whether it’s self-care Sunday or a monthly rest day, it’s important to take a break every once in a while with the intent of focusing solely on your mental health.

Between school, sports, extracurriculars and now a pandemic, it’s so easy to get caught up in all the pressure and overwork yourself. 

Unprioritized mental health can negatively impact much of our social and emotional well-being. When mental health is not handled well or goes untreated for a long period of time, it can lead to depression or anxiety. Oftentimes it also ends up with bad decision making and poor management of our physical health. Regardless, the results are harmful and can become long-term.

22 Woodson students answered how they practice self love.

Having a mental health day will encourage you to stay open-minded and take time to reflect about yourself and your welfare. It will also help encourage self love.  

Self love may seem like more of a luxury than a necessity, but it plays an important role in maintaining good mental health. It’s about appreciating yourself and caring about your well-being and happiness. It’s important to remind yourself that you are not your mistakes nor your achievements. Practicing self love is a great confidence booster and can give a sense of self-control.

You can never tell how someone is feeling on the inside, yet most of us are quick to make assumptions based on what we see from the outside. Social media, a platform where most people show the “good side” of their lives, can be misleading and plays a role in those daily assumptions.

Everyone copes differently with stress. Some will do yoga or meditation while others watch a movie or spend time with friends. But some days we get so caught up in all the pressure and completely forget to give ourselves a break. Overworking yourself can harm your performance, which will only cause more stress. Remember to give yourself some breathing room. Practicing self love and maintaining good mental health will ultimately lead to higher self-esteem, better performance and an overall happier life.