Woodson Student Body Fights Against Coronavirus

Reagan Dempster, CavCulture Editor

Photo courtesy of Grace Yoon

Over time, it has appeared that people are taking the coronavirus less seriously and are not taking the same precautions as in March when the initial shock hit.  Due to Fairfax County’s cases still increasing enormously every day and the many people with preexisting medical conditions who are at high risk from the coronavirus, the Woodson community must still do their part to prevent the spread. Here are ways to tell if you are taking enough measures to keep from getting the coronavirus.

Recent coronavirus studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have shown that the biggest way the virus is spread is through discharge of the nose and mouth. Being around people who are coughing, sneezing or talking who have the virus will put you at the highest risk of catching it. Therefore, the most effective way to prevent the spread and protect yourself is to wear a mask. Wearing a mask will stop one from getting germs on others, so it is very important to wear them when in public places. In most stores and public buildings, facial coverings are required. In a non-scientific poll taken by 136 Woodson students on the Cavalcade’s Instagram, 16% said that they only wear masks in indoor public places, and 64% said they wear a mask whenever they are in public, inside or outside. 

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Heimbrock

“When I go out in public, I am always wearing a mask,” said junior Rowan Clark. “I think it is very important to still wear a mask when you go out of the house.” 

Another recommended precaution is to only leave the house for essential trips, and when on essential trips, make sure to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer afterwards. In another Cavalcade Instagram poll taken by 133 students, 73% of them said that they leave the house fewer than three times a week for nonessential trips. The remaining 27% said that they leave the house more than three times a week for nonessential trips.