Study Tips for Online School

Erin Lee, Feature Editor

The alarm blasts out its dreaded bleeps as you make a desperate attempt to turn it off for an extra minute or two of sleep. You drowsily open your school-issued laptop at 8:05 in the morning to join your first period Blackboard Collaborate session– all in the comfort of your own home and pajamas.

Covid-19 has brought about unprecedented change for all of us; Woodson students have seen their in-classroom learning environment shift suddenly into digital chats, breakout rooms, and green “agree” icons. With digital learning and synchronous virtual classes taking place, students have to navigate across the unfamiliar roads of asynchronous and synchronous work along with online club obligations and meetings. 

However, fear not, because the Cavalcade has some golden tips for students who feel lost during this virtual learning process. With these tips, you will be able to get back on track and pass through your classes smoothly. 

Cartoon by Ariana Tackett
  • Create your own planner or buy a planner so that you can write down the due dates of assignments and homework. There are plenty of cheap planners available at stationery and office supply stores.

Photo courtesy of Carolyn Soltani
  • When waking up in the morning, create a to-do list of all the things you hope to achieve that day along with the classes you have. 
  • Find the best way you can take notes, whether that be electronic or handwritten notes.                                                                                                                                 -Tramina Phan, sophomore
  • If you have time during lunch or in between breaks, try taking a short walk for a break. Spending some time outside can alleviate stress and rejuvenate your senses.                                                                                                                                                -David Mastro, senior
  • Try the Pomodoro study technique: it is an interval study technique where you study with full concentration for 25 minutes and rest for 5 minutes. Repeat this process until you are done studying! This is especially helpful for those who lack long-term concentration. There are Pomodoro timers available online.                                                                                                                                        -Lara Ergun, senior
  • Use Google Calendar: the assignments on Google Classroom and the due dates are all synced with your school email’s Google Calendar, so this should be a good starting point to organize your day.                                                                    -Carolyn Soltani, senior
  • Try creating a study group with your peers; this can be a useful way to study for important exams and exchange questions and ideas!                                               -Shreeya Sriraman, junior
  • Check the weekly agendas to see what is due as well as make use of office hours for any help. Teachers are there to help every Monday morning depending on the class schedule.                                                                          -Matthew Brenningmeyer, senior